Saturday, March 3, 2007

New Developments

Our head coach has announced he will be leaving Central for several reasons at the end of this year and our Athletic Director has asked me to take over the task of recruiting. I think I am prepared but I need to have a lot of meetings in the next few days and see how I can best approach this. I am committed to be at Central and I really do enjoy it here. I went Snowboarding last week and that was a good escape and having a slope about an hour away is something i wish I knew earlier. I will be taking advantage of that more!
I have also been out fishing on Lake Red Rocks. I have to admit that I hate the cold and the wind so I am not sure that is for me. All I really caught was a fish the size of a sardine. I may just wait for the warm weather to get here before I go back out on the lake.
Back to recruiting... It is still a new thing to me but I want to put us in the place that we can best win.
This is also something that I want to cover for wrestlers. When you practice, when you drill, when you lift, and when you run you need to keep in mind that the point is to put yourself in the best position to win that you can.
What does that mean? When you go out on the mat the preparation you have put in will show but only if you go out and aggressively go after your wins. Scoring first, building riding time, pushing for back points and building your lead are all ways to put yourself in the best position to win.
In recruiting I will put us in the best position possible by continuing to build relationships and working to recruit the best wrestlers. A Central degree can open many doors for you but you still have to prepare yourself. Our faculty do an outstanding job of motivating students to prepare themselves and building the knowledge they need to move on in life.
With the wrestlers we are going to do a better job of providing the training and resources they need to improve and become leaders. The games do matter and it bothers me when people attack the usefulness of an athletic program as successful as Centrals but, we always keep an eye on taking care of our athletes so they can be better people, better students, and better athletes (listed in order of importance). There are coaches that will tell people anything to get them to a school, I tend to be bluntly honest and I hope that the athletes will respect that I am being honest but that things are on the way up!

Coming up is my take on Mental Toughness…

No comments: