Sunday, February 11, 2007

Welcome

Greetings from Pella, Iowa.
I am setting up this blog as we finish our season and begging off season preparation and training. I will be covering my experiences as a coach and writing about the sport and how to prepare and train as well as cover my experiences as I hit the road to recruit.

The Dutch have a lot of work to do but the future is bright here and our alumni and administration has reaffirmed their commitment to seeing the Dutch get back into the mix of the top teams in the country.

We have a great tradition at Central going back over 30 years, All Americans, National Champions, and Olympians. More importantly Central’s alumni have moved on to become teachers, doctors, entrepreneurs, and leaders. When I agreed to come to Central I left a promising program where I worked to help develop some of the best young wrestlers in Ohio and Pennsylvania. I did not get a raise to come to Central, nor did I get any perks but I got the chance to be part of a team that has developed some of the best leaders in the country.

Please be patient with me as I go through things here. I will be honest and cover the best aspects of the sport that I can but the is the time of the year that leaves us coaches biting our nails and tossing and turning at night because we are out recruiting hard to provide our teams the athletes we need and prepare our guys to begin using their summers to improve.

What will I be covering? I’ll cover most of my life as a coach. I will dip into technique, sports psychology, exercise science, and team development. I will get into a lot of philosophy and the such so if you are a wrestler that wants to get better just worry about what you can do today to improve. Don’t worry about peaking, periodization, team development or any of that. Leave it to us old guys! You just worry about getting onto the mat and putting the theory into practice, drilling, and wrestling.

Yours in wrestling,

TC